CALL FOR PROPOSALS (Yahoo! Answers TITLE TBA)
Exhibition dates: July 2013, Main Space at Xpace Cultural Centre
Curated by Alicia Nauta
Deadline: May 31, 2013
Xpace is currently accepting proposals from student and emerging artists responding to to the theme of the internet Q&A forum Yahoo! Answers. Yahoo! Answers is a community-driven question-and-answer site or a knowledge market launched by Yahoo! on June 28, 2005 that allows users to both submit questions to be answered and answer questions asked by other users. Users can collect points and levels, although these have no real world value, cannot be traded, and serve only to indicate how active a user has been on the site. A strange quality of the points/level system is that it encourages people to answer questions even when they do not have a suitable answer to give to gain points. At the same time, many questions are posed by the asker without any real desire to gain knowledge.
Work proposed could explore Yahoo! Answers in some of the following ways:
-as a means to convey presence/state of mind
-a relatively anonymous place to ask questions that are felt to be too embarrassing, mundane or existential
-a consideration of why people ask questions they already know the answer to
Proposals should consider the space the artwork occupies, the media used and its relationship to the subject in question. New works in response to the call are encouraged. Proposals for all media will be considered. Some examples may include, but are not limited to:
Online or web specific art, videos, live performance or performance video/image stills, digital (or non digital) images, screen shots or animated gifs, bookworks of collected themes/questions from Yahoo! Answers
Deadline: May 31, 2013
Electronic Submissions only can be sent to: [email protected]
Include in your submission:
1. Images of the proposed work (or relevant work) or a link to a website/youtube/vimeo. Maximum of 10 images or 5 minutes of video.
2. Description of the proposed work, including technical requirements (maximum 300 words).
3. CV (maximum 3 pages)
RESIDENCY FOR GRADUATING ARTISTS
Xpace Cultural Centre is seeking applications for the opportunity to participate in a two-week residency on Toronto Island. At this time the residency is only open to applications from students graduating spring 2013 from OCAD University.
The residency is intended to provide exceptional graduating students dedicated time to make a new body of work for exhibition in Xpace, September 2013. The residency consists of a two-week stay at Gibraltar Point on Toronto Island, and a small materials budget. The deadline for application is May 31, 2013. Please mail or drop off applications: 2-303 Lansdowne Ave, Toronto, ON M6K 2W5 c/o Residency for Graduating Artists.
If you are interested in applying please provide:
1. An artist statement (250-500 words): The artist statement should give a description of your overall practice as it relates to the project you plan to undertake during the residency.
2. Curriculum Vitae (Max 3 pages): Your CV should include education and exhibition history, as well as any relevant experience, reviews, etc.
3. Visual Support Material with accompanying Support Material List (5-10): All work included in the visual support material should have been completed over the 2012-2013 year. Please maintain consistent labeling of your image files. We do not accept Power Point files for image submissions. Video and audio files should be a maximum of 3-5 minutes in total. Please make sure that all files are Mac compatible.