Application Deadline: Thursday, September 30th, 2021 @ 11:59 PM
Term: October 14th, 2021 – May 6th, 2022
Xpace Cultural Centre is a not-for-profit artist-run centre supported by the OCAD Student Union. We are dedicated to providing emerging and student artists, designers, curators and art writers with opportunities to showcase their work in a professional setting.
We approach our programming and ideas as a form of world-building: providing free exhibitions, events, panels and workshops for Emerging Artists and Designers. Expanding notions of theory and aesthetics, we seek to hold space for thought-provoking and experimental collaborations and work on short timelines, which allow us to respond directly to what is going on in our communities.
Xpace Cultural Centre is committed to maintaining an anti-oppressive, queer positive environment, prioritizing marginalized, Black, Indigenous and People of Colour.
The Programming Assistant will work in collaboration with the Xpace Director and Programming Coordinators to plan, develop and execute Xpace’s exhibitions, workshops and event programming in Fall/Winter 2021-22. This position is a part-time 7-month contract, commencing October 14th, 2021. Compensation is $16.15/hour at 10 hours per week, with the exact days TBD upon hiring.
- Assist with development of exhibitions
- Assist with implementation of workshop and event programming
- Assist with social media/communications such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Eventbrite
- Assist with in-person and virtual events, including being on hand to help plan/execute Xpace’s many exhibitions and workshops. (Dependent on COVID-19 protocols).
- Assist with file management and digital archives (ie) formatting exhibition essays, publishing workshop recordings, organizing image archives, etc.
- Lead the planning and execution of one public program (i.e workshop, artist talk, performance, screening, etc.. (exact form will be decided upon hiring)
This position is partially funded by the Institutional Work Study Plan and students must be registered in full-time studies at OCAD University.
IWSP Student Approval Letter: Students must submit an OCAD U Work Study Application Form for the fall/winter semester to the Financial Aid & Awards in order to verify their eligibility under the program. Students will receive a response via email within 5 business days.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is currently enrolled in visual and/or media art, art history, curatorial practices or a related discipline at the undergraduate or graduate level;
- Has demonstrated experience, knowledge (and/or interest!) in local contemporary art, arts programming and curation.
- Has an understanding of – and desire to contribute to – social media and communications.
- Strives to find a balance between working independently, as well as in a team environment.
- Has demonstrated strong time-management and communication skills, whatever that looks like for you
- Is looking forward to gaining hands-on experience about the ins and outs of arts administration.
- And hopefully, is eager to bring a fresh perspective and creative approach to Xpace’s curatorial and event programming!
Xpace is currently open to the public. All staff have the option of working onsite or remotely, including the selected candidate. Meetings and check-ins are conducted through video calls (automatic closed-captioning available), email and chat when work is remote.
Please email [email protected] with the subject heading: ATTN Hiring Committee (Programming Assistant) with the following:
- cover letter
- portfolio/CV and/or website
Applications must be received by Thursday, September 30th, 2021 at 11:59 PM. Selected applicants will be notified via email for an interview video call with the Xpace team.
If you have any questions, accessibility and/or accommodation requests, please feel free to email Alexia at any time at [email protected]. We look forward to hearing from you! 🙂